Thursday, June 02, 2016

My design in Interweave Crochet Summer 2016!!!

Hello, pardon my excitement...I have a design in the latest issue of Interweave Crochet! Yay! Go see it, go get a copy now!...Take a look at the lovely patterns of the Summer issue here on Ravelry, or here on the Interweave site.

And here's my very own top-down construction pullover, cap-sleeve top, made using size 10 cotton thread. Here is a photo of my design featured on the contents page! [photo credit: Interweave/Harper Point Photography]

Limpet Lace Top
If you are thinking of making this...here are some notes I can share.
I don't know if there will be other minor issues, but I see that my finished size, and gauge numbers had been edited a bit. I think the difference lies in the kind of hook used and not blocking the fabric before measuring. The stitch pattern is stretchy and the finished top is meant to be worn with 2-4" negative ease.
Because of the nature of the design, the yoke is the same for the first three sizes, and the same but bigger (with two more pineapples), for the last two sizes as written in the pattern.
The yoke is very pretty! Working on it is both enjoyable and challenging because every round is different. (I really found it hard to take breaks while making this, it is so engaging.)

Here's my original pattern notes and gauge swatch:

Finished Size: 30 ½  (32 ½ , 34 ½ , 37, 39 ½ )” to fit bust sizes up to 32 (34, 36, 39, 42)”; Finished length 25”. Sample made in size 32 ½ .

Yarn: Coats and Clark Aunt Lydia’s crochet thread Classic 10 (100% Mercerized cotton; 350 yd [320 m]; # [antique white], 4 (4, 5, 6, 7) balls.
Hook: size B (2.2mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: Stitch markers (m); yarn needle.
Gauge: 34 sts and 15 rows = 4” in main pattern stitch

Notes
Construction starts with a bruges lace neck band, onto the lace yoke worked continuously in joined rounds, then separated into front and back at the chest, then worked in joined rnds from the underarm. Main body shaping and length can be custom-fit, up to bottom lace section. Bottom lace pattern repeats every 30 sts.
Ch 3 at the beg of each rnd/row, counts as dc, ch 4 at the beg of rnd counts as tr.


Stitch Guide
dc2tog: Double crochet 2 together—[Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 lps] twice, yo and draw through 3 lps on hook.
dc3tog: Double crochet 3 together—[Yarn over, insert hook in next st and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 lps] 3x, yo and draw through 4 lps on hook.

Gauge Swatch
Row 1: (RS) Ch 42, dc in 4th ch from hook and on each ch across, turn. (40 dc)
Row 2: Ch 3, working in front loops only, dc in each dc across, turn.
Rows 3 to 16: Rep row 2. 
Fasten off, block and measure.


Additional Notes:

The lace yoke part is about 5 inches from neck edge to the beginning of the solid stitch part.
Here's my test project for the bigger-size range (the last two sizes in the pattern). The yoke is 2 pineapple patterns more than the yoke for the first three sizes in the pattern.



The yoke is quite stretchy too...and the last two sizes in the pattern will be quite huge compared to the sample project in the magazine, which is the second size in the pattern. The dressform here is a size 34" bust, and the project comes to approx. 37" at the bust (unstretched).

Crochet test project, lace yoke


By the way, here's the first sample I made, shown here as my design proposal submitted to Interweave. Its closest to the first size in the pattern. Worn here with 1 1/2" negative ease.

Lace yoke top
Lace-yoke Top


Please let me know if you have a question or comment about this design. I'll be adding notes here as needed for clarification.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for these notes! Really love this pattern, but was concerned about finished sizes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback, @theresay! Hope you'll give it a try :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you!!! Thought it was ridiculous that the largest size was 35 1/2".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! Thought it was ridiculous that the largest size was 35 1/2".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving this pattern! Almost done with the yoke and decided to look up the author. So glad to find your blog. Just in time before I chose the wrong size. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Reka! Hope to see your project :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the beautiful pattern! It is truly very pretty.
    I have started this project for myself. However I am having trouble deciding on the hook size. I was hoping you can give me some guidance. All my guages are coming out larger. I tried as small as 1 mm hook. For 1 mm hook, my guage is 5 in for 34 sts. Do I need to try smaller than 1 mm hook ? That seems very tiny and harder to finish.
    Any suggestion you can provide will be very much appreciated.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the feedback! I suggest you look at the projects on Ravelry https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/limpet-lace-top/people to compare your yarn and hook size, as I can't be sure what would work for you.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog!