Sunday, May 16, 2010

Free pattern and stitch tutorial - No-sew Crocheted Towel Topper




You'll need:


Kitchen Towel (sample used is about 15 1/2 inches wide, 25 inches long)
Ticket hole punch
Worsted weight yarn (sample used is Red Heart acrylic yarn)
Crochet hook size 4mm


This topper is crocheted directly on a kitchen towel, after punching holes on one short edge. I used my ticket hole punch. (Its a little hard on the hand, but I liked the result). I made it without adding a button or other closure, since I was going to hang it on a hook.
I didn't measure the holes or lined it straight, just eyeballed it about 1/4 inch from the edge, and 1/4 inch apart from each other. I made 41 holes. The exact number of stitches does not matter much.


Row 1: Join yarn on the 1st hole, ch 1, esc (see esc tutorial below) in each hole across, turn.

Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as 1st tr), (tr tog the next two sts) across, tr on the last st, turn. (see tr tog tutorial below)

Row 3: Repeat row 2.
Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in each st across, turn.
Row 5: Repeat row 4, turn.
Row 6: Ch 4 (counts as tr), (tr tog next 2 sts) twice, ch 1, skip 1 st, (tr tog next 2 sts) twice, tr on last st., turn.
Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each st, turn.
Row 8: Ch 1, (sc tog next 2 sts) 3 times, sc on last st, turn.
Row 9: Ch 1, (sc tog next 2 sts) twice, sl st on last st. Fasten off and weave in ends.


ESC - Extended Single Crochet Stitch

1. Insert hook into stitch (or space) and pull up a loop.

2. Yarn over and draw loop thru one loop (as if making a chain).

3. Yarn over and draw loop thru 2 loops on hook to finish the single crochet.

4. Esc made.


2-TR TOG - 2-Treble together (or tr decrease)


1. Yarn over hook twice, insert on stitch, and draw up a loop.


2. Yarn over and draw loop thru 2 loops on hook; 3 loops left on hook.


3. Yarn over and insert hook on next stitch, pull up a loop. (You now have 5 loops on hook.)


4. Yarn over and draw thru 2 loops, leaving 4 loops on hook.


5. Yarn over and draw thru 3 loops, leaving 2 loops.


6. Yarn over and draw thru remaining 2 loops.
Tr tog made.

18 comments:

  1. tfs a very easy and pretty tute Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use a hole punch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute. I have a couple hole punchers. I never thought to use them on a towel. I love the bright colors you used for your towel topper. Thanks for the tutorial, I can't wait to try one I love projects like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Mimi! What a great idea and how clear your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said after you hole punched you used a ticket puncher. . . is that the same thing? ? ? ? ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what I said was: I crocheted the topper after punching holes. So I described how I punch the holes.
      I did use a ticket puncher, since that worked for me. But some towels are thick and it didn't work.

      Delete
  7. I am ready to start punching the holes. Been crocheting a lot lately and these towels were orddered by a friend. Instructions are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this pattern. I'm hoping to crochet several for myself and my daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a beginner with no crocheting experience at all so I probaly should step down until I get, at the very least, a square crocheted. Your towel w/topper is quite lovely but it's extremely hard to read through your lovely backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! There's a glitch somewhere, since the posts I had written on my PC originally have white background, but displays differently in other devices...

      Delete
  10. HI MY SISTER SENT ME YOUR PATTERN VERY NICE NEVER HEARD OF EXTENDED SC BUT GOOD TO KNOW
    DO YOU ONLY DOE THE EXTENDED SC ON FIRST ROW THANKS GREAT TOWEL OF YOURS PLEASE EMAIL ME THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me encantan estos paƱos para decorar la cocina, gracias por compartir

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have nice projects and good directions, but the text is very hard to read on the patterned background. Nearly impossible for old eyes

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this pattern
    I have made four for my kitchen.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know :)

      Delete
  14. I'm interested...but did you cut the towel? So when you say the short edge, are you working on the bottom of the towel? Please clarify, I'm a bit confused...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I did not cut the towel...I only punched holes so I can crochet on it. For more ideas, you may search projects and patterns on ravelry.com

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog!