Monday, October 04, 2010

Crochet a Mug Cozy - free pattern

I've seen mug cozies everywhere on Ravelry, and recently I received one as a gift and it was a lovely knitted cozy (photo at the bottom of this post). With this I was inspired to make up my own pattern using our local Red Heart acrylic yarn by Coats Manila Bay.
This one fits a regular-size coffee mug.



Mimi's Crochet Mug Cozy
by Mimi Alelis, October 2010
http://mycrochetstuff.blogspot.com/2010/10/crochet-mug-cozy-free-pattern.html

Finished measurement: Approximately 3 1/2 inches diameter at the bottom, 3 1/2 inches tall
Materials: Red Heart, 3-ply acrylic yarn, 1 skein multicolor, and a few yards of contrasting color
Crochet hook size 4mm.
2 buttons
Yarn needle
Stitches Used:
Ch = chain      Sl st = slip stitch     Sc = single crochet     Dc = double crochet     Hdc = half-double crochet
Gauge: 9 sts and 7 rows in hdc = 2 inches

Starting at the bottom,
Rnd 1: Ch 4 (Note: beginning ch 3 counts as 1st dc), 11 dc in 4th ch from hook, join with sl st on top of beg ch 3. (12 dc)
Rnd 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in each dc around, join. (23 dc)
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in each dc around, join. (46 dc)
Rnd 4: Ch 2 (counts as hdc), hdc in each dc around, join on top of beg ch 2. (46 hdc)
Continue to work on the body of cozy, this time working in rows. Turn, this becomes the right side.
Row 1: Ch 2 (counts as hdc), (hdc in the next 7 st, 2 hdc in next st), 4 times, hdc in next 9 sts, leave the last 4 sts unworked, turn. (46 hdc)
Row 2: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc across, turn. (46 hdc)
Rows 3-5: repeat row 2. At the end of row 5, don't turn , ch 10, sc on the side of row 3, turn and sl st back on each ch just made, sl st on top of last hdc of row 5.
Row 6: repeat row 2
Rows 7-8: repeat row 2. (Note: change color at the end of row 8)
Row 9: With contrasting color, repeat row 2, ch 15, and sl st on top of last hdc of this row.
Row 10:  (edging) Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in each st across. Fasten off.
Finishing: Sew two buttons near the edge of rows opposite the two button loops. Weave in ends.

Here's the lovely knitted coffee cup cozy I received as a blog giveaway. Thanks Lisa!

8 comments:

  1. Wow - thanks so much for sharing this pattern! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pattern Mimi. One thing I noticed recently is how fast it takes for coffee to cool down. This is a great way to slow it down a bit and a better cushion for the cups in case of accidental bumps. Una got hurt when she accidentally broke my MIL's mug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karla, hope you make one too ;)

    I agree Gene! I already found the cozy very useful to keep my tea warm for a longer time. And I also like it as a shock absorber when I put the mug on the table. Hopefully it can prevent the mug from breaking into pieces when it is accidentally dropped...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pattern-it's cold here this AM and my cup needs a cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe I just may have to make myself one of these today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so neat. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the pattern dear Mimi! And it looks very nice! The knitted version with the cables by Lisa is also very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable mug cozy! I love the button detail. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!