Friday, October 05, 2007

Don't DHL it!

If you are sending packages overseas, try the postal service or other reliable service. I don't think DHL is one of them. Here's my story:
Yesterday, I got a knock on the door saying it was a delivery. I wasn't too thrilled since I was limping on the way, I needed to go downstairs since my house is on the 2nd floor. Then my left leg ached and cramped, due to prolonged abnormal walking. Anyways, I wasn't totally attentive to the DHL delivery guy, but I realized he was handing me a bill. I glanced upon the box that he held and read Andrews McMeel...before I could get excited about it, I examined the bill and it had some computations with the total amount being P1,585. That's about $35! I said, "I have to pay this to get the box???" He said, yes. (I don't remember him being courteous). I asked him for an explanation on the details of the amount stated there, and he said I better call the office and he pointed the phone no. on the bill. I didn't want to call the office since I know that they have a ready explanation for it. Besides, I think I'm not supposed to pay anything, being just a recipient.
I told him I wasn't going to pay. He asked me to sign and receive the paper. I said, "I'm not going to sign that. I'm not going to get the box." And I sent him off.
Darn. I would have been leafing through the pages of the crochet calendar by now :(... and I should have copied the details of the bill so I can file a formal complaint. There was even a customs tax there for about 265pesos...I wonder what law they based that tax on? I never experienced any problem or paid a tax on the items with the numerous packages I sent and claimed at the post office.
At first, I thought that the distributor of the calendar wanted me to pay for the delivery. But after I have received a reply from the publisher regarding the incident I narrated, I believe that the problem was the DHL service. They probably get away with charging the recipient even though the delivery has already been paid by the sender. I could guess how some people get fooled, and most don't file complaints, especially the Filipinos here who are eager to receive a package from abroad.
I will get my free copy of the calendar, I'm sure. I have to wait several weeks, but that's ok.

11 comments:

  1. oh Mimi! It's a good thing you didn't fall for the trap. These guys can be such ************** .Even out here once we had the same issue and we had to pay because it was some papers urgently needed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would still contact DHL. Aren't there any "rules" regarding charges, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who sent you the calendar, Mimi? Or did you order it and ask DHL to deliver it? I have used DHL before, and yes, they are expensive. They can "get away with it", since they deliver it fast. (We had to ship a key overnight to my husband once from here to Michigan. It was about $57 to do that.) I didn't have to pay for it right then, though. I would call them, too. It doesn't sound right that you would have to pay for it right then and there. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did call up DHL. They said they needed the (10-digit) tracking number to be able to answer my queries. I said, why can't they just search on their database by name and address? They said that isn't possible. (Oh yeah?) I'm sure its just a convenient excuse for them to avoid more complaints. For someone who is surprised at the instance of a package being delivered, and equally surprised at the huge fees being presented to him/her, the tracking number is the last thing that he/she is going to take notice of. Unless, its not the first time that it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those darn people! I'd rather wait for the regular mail than to pay that much, it's like almost the amount of the said item if you're going to convert the price or even more. I really don't know what's up with the customs as well. I have a friend who ordered an item in ebay, amounting to 3,000 pesos and the customs people in Marikina PO asked her to pay 7k for tax! WTF! How did they get that computation where it should be just a percentage of the amount that you purchased?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get it either. When I was still in Manila, I got a nice little package from a friend of mine in the US and she sent it through the post office. I got a notice that a package was waiting for me and I braved traffic etc to get there and I was told that the Philippine post office wanted me to pay about 500.00Php to actually get the box. The box was obviously opened (and shoddily taped up) and really, the stuff in there could have just amounted to about 20.00 USD.

    It's insane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What branch of post office did this happen, Lyra? They are obviously taking advantage of people who are excited to receive a package from abroad.
    I'm still fortunate that I didn't experience any untoward incident at the Q.C. central p.o. There is a standard rate of 35pesos customs examination fee for every package, and that's the only fee that I pay. They open the package in front of you to check the contents. And I do believe none of the items I received are taxable since its all gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get sucked in by the tax / customs man here in Brussels. Most packages that I receive I have to pay anywhere from 10 to 40 Euros for! I had my Mom send me something that I forgot at home and I had to pay a tax on it.....and it was something that I bought here in Europe, so I had already paid 27% VAT on the thing! And this is from the normal post office guys! Its crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's too bad Kimberly...and you can't avoid the customs people at the post office :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was the Mandaluyong Post Office. Awful, rude people. I can't REALLY blame them since they work all day in a dirty place with no air conditioning, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mimi, what you tell is so weird! I had no problem at all with the DHL delivery of my Calendar -I still don´t know who sent it, such great gift to me! In the box I can read "TAX FREE".
    I hope you´ll get your copy soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!